May 12, 2010 (Scheduled C-Section one week before his due date)
8lbs. 4oz.
19.5 inches
(A big baby by normal standards, but to us he was tiny!) Hayden was over a pound heavier... :)
Sawyer came out after a long procedure (it took a long time because this was my second C-Section and they have to get through all the previous scar tissue). He let out a huge cry, but then things didn't go quite as smoothly. I remember with Hayden that they brought him to me almost right away. It didn't happen like that this time around. He had swallowed a lot of fluid into his lungs and also didn't want to start breathing on his own. The nurse finally explained it as "he really liked his oxygen." Meaning that he would do well while they were giving him oxygen, but as soon as they took him off of it he would start turning blue. Turns out that some babies don't "transition" well to being in the outside world, and Sawyer was one of them. I didn't get to see him for almost two hours, and felt really sad leaving the operating room without seeing my baby. They brought him to me for a few short minutes and then took him back to the regular nursery where they continued to watch him and were deciding whether he would need to go the NICU or not. I prayed really hard that he wouldn't have to go the NICU because that would mean that Hayden (who was so excited to meet his little brother) wouldn't get to see him until he came home from the hospital. And, I really didn't want to spend four days in the hospital recovering without seeing my baby very often. But, as long as he was healthy... that's all we really hoped for. Finally, we got the good news!! He wasn't going to the NICU and he was doing much better. He would get to stay with us and he was just fine. Thank God! You pray for a healthy baby, and when that may not happen it is very scary, but we are so thankful! We know that what we experienced was minor compared to many. Our babies just like to really make an entrance I guess!
The rest of my hospital stay went really well, and I recovered surprisingly fast. The nurses kept saying how great I was moving around, even from the first day. The day I went home, I had a TERRIBLE headache, the worst I had ever experienced. But I think that it was from all the dry hospital air really messing with my sinuses. Thank goodness that disappeared by the next day. I was even off of my pain pills by the end of the first week! Sawyer and Hayden were doing great, and we were adjusting to our life as a family of four.
By almost two weeks I knew that I had mastitis again because I started spiking a high fever and felt miserable. I didn't move off of the couch all day. Luckily, this goes away with an antibiotic pretty quickly, but it did "push me over the edge" so to say with nursing because it was WAY to painful, and I gave it up.
Right about this time, I noticed that Sawyer sounded really funny when he was breathing some times. Luckily, I noticed this right before his two week appointment so I didn't have long before I got an answer about what it was he was doing. He makes squeaky like noises after he eats, or after he gets excited or cries. The doctor told me that he has laryngomalacia and that it wasn't really anything to worry about. It really just sounds worse than it is. It is an underdeveloped larynx, in which his tissue is soft and floppy. When he breathes in it makes a weird noise. He doesn't do it all the time, and as long as he continues to gain weight and seem otherwise healthy it really isn't a big deal and should correct itself by the age of 1. He also throws up sometimes, pretty much everything that could possibly be in his stomach. Thankfully, he doesn't do this very often, but when he does, watch out! This too, goes with his laryngomalacia.
Now, at 8 weeks, he is smiling all the time and really starting to interact. He even likes to look at his toys and sometimes bats at them with his hands. He loves his big brother, who has really started to be his protector. More to come on little Sawyer, but for now, he has just doubled the joy in our lives and he is precious! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment